Thursday 17 January 2008

Fool for A Pretty Face House/Lights




We are presenting a performance with Glasgow-based band Fool for A Pretty Face on Saturday May 3 at park gallery in Callendar Park, Owen Hedges and Mikaela Skogsberg who form the band will be playing a series of songs that I have asked them to work as a kind of response to the show Janie and I are presenting at the gallery. I’ve asked them to cover Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan ( I’ve wanted to do this since seeing Diane Thater’s film Jump); I Feel Love by Donna Summer and Computer Love by Kraftwerk among other songs plus their own work. I really enjoy Mikaela’s voice with its Scandinavian twang and its vulnerability and Owen’s more mellow solid rounded intonation. I wanted them to do songs that feel like a shift in sound, a change in sound perception. Well for my world anyway, this is debateable.

I will also be rehearsing House/Lights now for a performance of the work on May 4. I’ll rework the entire show with more of the original text and more on video; I’ve asked Lorna Shields (who is already picking out an outfit and hairstyle), Finn Hobson, Janie Nicoll to again work with me as well as two other performers for live and on-video appearances.

Janie and I have been discussing other events, which coincide with Big in Falkirk and hope to use park as a kind of workshop of events, a studio of experiments, a confederacy of quotation. We are presenting a show Meddle with The Devil, so I guess House/Lights and Faust/Elaine and Mephisto/Olga will work here. I have a collection of drawings and prints as well as my heroin New York Times carpet and other works in mind to show, Lorna is knitting a Heroine/Heroin Carpet drawing; I am hoping to include a new voice work, so it’s back to the archive at the House for texts and examples of ancient Vocoders.

The PUBLIC show name may change, Janie and I need to discuss the potential of this video and film screening and how its title will make sense to an audience of seniors; the programme will now commingle found footage with artists film and sound work, I saw Dave last night and we discussed a radio broadcast to fill in the sound, create a soundtrack for these silent films. I feel now we are breathing intention onto this site, I feel secure in our willingness to engage with this place.

No comments: